Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Great Day for a Tomato Sandwich..



August is always a time of the year when tomato crops are in full harvest in virtually any Italian’s garden- I remember as a boy, hearing my Grandpop Salvo and my parents talking about having a “tomato sandwich” during this time of year and, as I’ve expressed in prior articles here, how hearing something like that as a child would simply blow me away.

Growing up in America in the 1970s and 80s, anyone who watched TV for at least one hour during that era would be familiar with the variety of commercials pertaining to fast food. Every hamburger, for the most part, would always be topped with some kind of cheese, lettuce, and yes…. Tomato. If you went out to eat at any other kind of restaurant, a sandwich would most likely be served with lettuce, tomato, and a pickle (or something to that effect).

So, having grown up in a world where tomato was the garnish of the sandwich, it amazed me that one could make a sandwich containing nothing other than…. Tomato!

Nevertheless, since that time in my youth, I’ve had many a tomato sandwich, including the ones I ate today, which prompted this article. If your family indulges in this hidden treasure of simple Italian cuisine, please post a comment in response to this article. It’s always great hearing the feedback we receive from our reading community!

7 comments:

  1. We too have always enjoyed tomato sandwiches in the summertime when the tomatos start coming in. One of the joys of summer! Then, to my surprise when I moved up to Massachusetts, when summer came around my coworkers would bring in their garden tomatoes and make tomato sandwiches for lunch. I felt right at home!

    Suddenly I am feeling hungry ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Franny Rizzo
    talk about tomatoes, I PUT IN SIX PLANTS ALL WITH DIFFERENT MATURITY DATES, I"VE EATING TOMATO SANDWITCHES FOR AT LEAST A MONTH, MY WIFE ASK WHAT I want for lunch, I SAY DON"T ASK, I want my tomato sandwich. MOSTLY WITH JUST MAYONIAS A TIME OR TWO WITH CHEESE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's only two things that money can't buy------true love and homegrown tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From "AA":

    Had one yesterday...with Mayo of course!! Fresh tomatoes, but the harvest is dwindling.. sad..love garden fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh yes, the simple but wonderful tomato sandwich, always a staple at our house during the summer months. Just with mayo, or drizzled with olive oil and a little salt and pepper on Italian bread! I'm really hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Jim III said, while he was growing up we always had a beautiful garden, thanks to Grand-Pop Salvo. Seeds were usually put in flats in the end of Jan. or early Feb. By the time they were 3" or 4" tall it was usually late Mar. or early Apr. when they were transplanted into "Cold frames" that dad had constructed in the back yard. As the nights got warmer & the day's longer the tops would be left open. When the threat of frost was gone they would be set out in the garden that I would have preped for him. It was approx. 30'x70'. We usually always had 50 plants. They ranged in variety from Beef Steak, Big Boy, Big Girl, Early Girl, to the "Famous Robino/Salvo Plum". If you're familiar with the "Romano Plum's" of today(maybe 1"x3"), these were a hybrid that I believe Grand-Pop Robino had germinated over a period of many, many years. Then Grand-pop Salvo took them to the Green house were he worked everyday and refined the variety. The ones we would get would "AVG." 2-1/2"x 4-5" with lots of meat and not too many seeds. I managed to keep them going until 1995 when I moved to Sussex, Co., De. Some where in the shuffle I lost those precious seeds. The family gardener competition was to see who could grow the first red tomato by or before "Jul. 4th". We usually had fresh plums from Jul. until Frost.(Nov. +/-) Those plants would grow taller then the 8' stakes we had especially for them.(Usually bambo from the "Ganogue" geen houses) Boy those were the day's. #(8>) I think I'll have a tomato sandwich!

    Jim 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh listen, your picture inspired me and I've been having a tomato sandwich on whole wheat since Summer 2013. Instead of mayo, I use thick sour cream as the spread, with a little salt and pepper. Had to get used to the sour cream not being as sweet as the mayo, but the ripe tomato sandwich is heavenly. Thank you so much for the visual inspiration. Just love this little lunch.

    ReplyDelete